“R’nBesk” music, a new mix of arabesk music, R’nB and hip hop was first created and brought to the world of German-Turkish music by singer Muhabbet. His music video, found by clicking on his photo on the website linked above is titled “Ich Will Nicht Gehen” (I don’t want to go”). Two images struck me the most-the beginning of the video presents the Turkish flag, the middle the German flag, and then at the end, the Turkish flag. “I love life. I belong to you, stay with me…My heart stops, I don’t want to leave.” Family, loves, sisters, and brotherhood are all represented silhouetted in front of these two flags, standing in a large and empty space. …it’s definitely something interesting to watch! The website where I found this video, “Step Into Germany” has some really great resources.
- CFP: Berkeley Interdisciplinary German Studies Conference on “Arrested Mobilities: Stillness, Power and Modernity” (Feb. 25-26, 2022, Online)
- CFP: Edited Volume on Asian German Film and Media (ed. Qinna Shen, Zach Ramon Fitzpatrick, Qingyang Freya Zhou)
- Reflections on a Postmigrant Turn
- Überlegungen zu einem Postmigrant Turn
- A Tale of Three Cities: Part III – How to Politicize Public Health
Tagsannouncement anthology art article assimilation book review border citizenship comedy community culture discrimination education employment Europe event family fiction film film review food German Germany history identity immigration integration Jewish language literature migrants migration mobility Multicultural Germany multilingualism nonfiction novel pop culture racism religion Turkey Turkish violence xenophobia youth culture